Hello & welcome!
I’m Denise, a career coach based in Melbourne, Australia.
I’ve worked with hundreds of professionals from graduates to senior executives to support them through a career change or help them land a new job.
I specialise in helping women develop the confidence they need to succeed while creating and implementing a career plan that gets them where they want to go (minus the self-doubt and procrastination).
My work is about self-discovery as much as strategy. Because the key to finding the ideal career is to gain a deep understanding of your values, strengths and core desires as well as the challenges that hinder your progress. I know from first hand experience that it’s not always easy to do this work alone, (although I have created a 10-step Career Discovery System so you can make a head start).
Workshops & Coaching
As well as running workshops (Psst: Networking for Introverts is coming up in May), and creating training programs like Your Ideal Job in 30 Days, I offer 1-on-1 coaching for women who want to transform their careers whether that s getting promoted, changing jobs or making a switch to another industry or profession.
I have a special talent for spotting the blocks that get in the way of your success together with a deep understanding of the strategies that work in overcoming them. I guess you could call it my superpower.
How I got here
My own career trajectory has not been without adversity.
Before becoming a career coach, I worked as a journalist and copywriter, and before that as an executive assistant in the corporate sector. I struggled with low confidence for much of my early working life, which meant I was unable to make the kind of contribution I knew I was capable of, or experience the success that I wanted. Even when I found a career I like as a journalist, I couldn’t enjoy it because I felt like a fraud (hello imposter syndrome).
It wasn’t until after I had my son that I realised I had the power to make a change and create a purpose-driven career that would allow me to do more meaningful work. Of course the change had to start with me. Several years of intense personal development work helped build my self-awareness as well as my self-esteem and confidence. Meanwhile I gained my postgraduate qualification in careers education and development. This work wasn’t always easy but I had the benefit of amazing mentors, coaches and colleagues who supported me throughout (remember, you don’t have to do this alone).
I am committed to helping other women build their confidence, find their rightful place in the working world and make the impact they are capable of. When I’m teaching or coaching I have a deep sense that I’m making a positive contribution to people’s lives.
I want this for you and more.
- I’m a Cancerian and an introvert (INFJ). I used to have a major fear of public speaking. I’m in the process of learning to love it (kinda)
- I’m an Irish expat who’s been living in Melbourne for over a decade. Mom to one tiny Australian. I still have my accent.
- My first job was waitressing at an Irish holiday camp called Butlins at the age of 16. I broke more plates than I can count but I got my first taste of financial freedom (even if it was only about $25 per week).
- This isn’t my first foray into business. I used to have a freelance copywriting business. It wasn’t a huge success and the lifestyle was stressful (the opposite of what I’d intended) but I did learn a lot about online business. Also resilience and patience!
- I love meditation, kinesiology and crystals. I have to push myself to get to yoga class (but I’m always thankful when I do). My favourite authors and teachers include Marianne Williamson, Elizabeth Gilbert and Tara Mohr.